Medical Technologist I
Medical Technologist I
Chicago and Pittsburgh
Full time, PRN/Part time
Education and Training:
• AS degree with MLT (ASCP) certification required.
• BS/BA degree in medical technology, biology, or a related science with MT(ASCP) or BB(ASCP) or SBB(ASCP) strongly preferred.
• 3 years previous blood bank/transfusion service or general laboratory experience.
• Recent MLT or MT graduate (within 6 months) will be considered.
• Ability to complete basic mathematical calculations.
• Good analytical skills required.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently.
• Must be able to prioritize work demands and anticipate patient needs.
• Ability to equate a medical diagnosis to transfusion needs.
• Language skills must include the ability to read, write, speak English effectively and follow oral and written instructions consistent with policies and procedure, SOPs or other requirements.
• Strong communication skills required to interact in a professional manner with external customers.
• Interactive style that fosters and supports teamwork.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
Manual dexterity. The employee will be required to spend the majority of the day standing, walking and using their hands. The employee may be required to lift up to 25 pounds. The employee must have the ability to respond to audible alarms and incoming phone calls, and verbalize information and direction. High stress work environment; accuracy and speed frequently impact patient outcomes. Errors can be fatal. The employee will spend the majority of the day in a clinical laboratory with biohazard exposure and moderate noise levels.
These position are in Chicago, IL and Pittsburgh, PA.
This position exists to perform all aspects of routine clinical laboratory testing and basic serological problem resolution in the area of immunohematology. This position also provides for the manufacturing and distribution of appropriate products for transfusion.
Position Responsibilities (Expected Work):
1. Major Activity: Perform all routine pretransfusion testing and quality control to obtain serologically safe products for transfusion consistent with SOP and cGMP requirements.
2. Major Activity: Resolve basic serological problems consistent with SOP and cGMP requirements.
3. Major Activity: Perform all Assistant Technician responsibilities consistent with SOP and cGMP requirements as needed.
4. Major Activity: Accurately and professionally communicate pertinent clinical information to the hospital staff and obtain necessary information from these same sources, always adhering to patient confidentiality requirements and HIPAA requirements.
5. Major Activity: Provide technical support to Assistant Technician staff and external hospital staff.
6. Major Activity: Complete all required ongoing training within defined time frames.
• Error free work consistent with SOPs.
• Efficient completion of work tasks – on time without customer complaints.
• Interpersonal team skills.